Richmond





It seems like the day to play is Sunday for us. This is likely because I lately I only work one in three. On this particular Sunday, I suggested going to DC to see the Cherry Blossoms since we haven't been yet this year. Jon said he really didn't want to go because it would be crowded and I agreed that it would be. Instead, we decided to drive down To Richmond because we hadn't been there yet. We left about noon and got to Richmond around two. We headed up to see the capital building first. We walked around the outside and discovered that they did tours and so we headed to the visitors center. After we arrived, they said we could do the guided tour, which started in three minutes, or we could do a self guided tour. We decided to do the guided tour because we could learn more history. Our tour guide was very good and our tour group was small, only seven of us. We learned lots of interesting facts about both the capital and the Commonwealth of Virginia. I didn't bring my camera but I took a few pictures with my phone.



This is a picture of Richmond's Washington Monument.



This is the Zero Marker for Richmond.



This is the ORIGINAL plan from Jefferson sent from him in France to Richmond based on his design.




This is a statue of Washington that is the most accurate statue in the world. It was made by Jean-Antoine Houdon while Washington was still alive. Jean went to Mount Vernon and studied Washington while he was working on his estate.

After touring the Capital we went down to Tredegar Iron Works where much of the Iron used during the Civil was manufactured. This area is now a Center to learn more about the battles around Richmond during the Civil War. Some of the Iron Works are still there, rusting away. Unfortunately, I didn't take any pictures there but I did get my Souvenir Penny!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

All my Pet Needs at Kroger

Virginia Tech